Accident, Sickness & Unemployment

Accident, sickness & unemployment (ASU) protection is one solution to the problem of how to get income if you’re not able to work. ASU is a short-term kind of insurance cover which only pays out for a period of between 12-24 months. As such, ASU policies can be a good product for giving you peace of mind if you’re worried you might lose your income because of short-term illness or redundancy.

When you take out ASU, your cover levels are planned to be enough to meet your mortgage repayments plus regular monthly outgoings. You’ll usually be able to choose a level of payout between 60-65% of your normal income. Together with any statutory payments you’re eligible for, this is often enough to keep your household ticking over while you recover or look for another job.

ASU or Income Protection?

Your mortgage probably won’t automatically include ASU cover, so it’s something you’ll need to arrange separately. If you’re concerned about the possibility of longer periods of sickness, you should consider taking out income protection. These policies are intended to cover a much longer duration, and some will even keep paying out until you reach retirement age.

Because income protection policies come with a higher level of cover than ASU, they are slightly more complex to take out. You may, for example, need to undergo a medical before your application is accepted, and the application process will typically take longer. However, once accepted for income protection cover you can usually claim more than once, even if you’re prevented from working by multiple episodes of the same illness.

Need any help?

Because it’s impossible to give general advice about what kind of cover you should choose, it’s a good idea to arrange to talk to our protection specialists. They will use your personal information to tailor their recommendations to your circumstances and future plans.

*For insurance business we offer products from a choice of insurers.

There are other providers of Payment Protection Insurance [Short-Term Income Protection] and other products designed to protect you against loss of income. For impartial information about insurance, please visit the website at

For Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance, based on a 30 year old male, a typical cost per £100 of cover would be £4.03 per month. This is based on a 30 day deferred period.

Beside you all the way
At Zing, we’re here to help you throughout your mortgage application. From your first enquiry through to completion - we’re here to make the whole process easier for you.
03332 414 113
Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
What our clients say
Efficient and Excellent Experience
1st time buyers and they made the whole process really easy from start to finish. Kept us up to date throughout and answered any questions we had strait away. Thank you Zing
Rion in Sevenoaks
Best choice we made
Gary was patient & understanding when dealing with our mortgage. Ellie was brilliant with weekly updates that increased to daily as we neared completion. Can't thank the team at Zing enough, would recommend to anyone.
Julie in Southend-On-Sea
Great service
Great service from start to finish. Lee was very knowledgable and got us the deal we where looking for. Was kept informed and he was always available, or called us back. Would highly recommend.
Brian in Ware
Very nice service I will recommend it to my friends and if I need will use again. Very big thanks for Ian.
Good overall service
We have used zings services for a number of years now and have always been very happy with there services, although we had a bit of a slow start this time everything was completed well and would recommend them again for the future.
Steve in Essex
Would recommend
They chased the solicitors continuously for what was a long tome! They kept me up to date throughout which I really appreciated
Feefo logo